Ichigo 100% Novels...

Ichigo 100% Discussion Forum

Moderator: AyaToujo

ironbomb

Re: Ichigo 100% Novels...

Post by ironbomb » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:03 am

River wrote:Sorry to join the conversation late everyone, but I'll just try and fit in. To tell you the truth I don't think Ichigo 100% needs a sequel. What more story needed to be told? Did I think the end was perfect? I hate to say it, but I think it was. Any additional things I would've liked to see would have totally thrown off the feel of the last few lines of the story (i.e. seeing something like a wedding scene for Manaka and Tsukasa). I think overall it was good... definitely better than the mess that was I"s. A fricking coma?! I could kill someone for that cheese. As for the Time Skip, I thought it was absolutely needed. If the manga had ended right at "Goodbye Izumizaka", I woulda been really annoyed at the open-ended ending that doesn't give you closure to anything. As for more manga showing what happened during the timeskip, it's my opinion that they'd be more like side stories rather than a true Ichigo 100% story... just like Misuzu's was. I mean what's the point of more Ichigo 100% if it's just everyone off doing their different things and not interacting with one another? I mean I wish there was more Ichigo 100% because I loved the entire ride from beginning to end... but I wouldn't want more just because of that. Also I wanted to say that it was definitely the right move to not have Kitaouji and Aya be with someone after the time skip. How weird would it have been knowing they were dating these nameless faces? It woulda felt kind of too neat and a pity party for them I think. It's definitely NOT realistic (I mean a pretty, famous novelist or a hot successful restaurant owner not finding someone to date in 5 or 6 years?), but fictional story-wise it makes sense. Anyway sorry to just barge in unannounced. Can I be like Manaka and say I liked all the girls?

Open to discussion for all, the more the merrier =D.

What more needs to be told? Alot. There was no closure for any of the characters other than Manaka and Nishino, everything was vague. Misuzu was the only one that we know what happened during the timeskip and finally got herself a boyfriend. Satsuki was obviously still heads over heels for Manaka just by her statement at the last chapter. Aya, not having a mate..personally I was hoping that Amachi was with her IF ANY only IF she didnt end up with Manaka, which she didnt. Personally, I didnt want a wedding between Nishino and Manaka, that would have definitely threw away the objective the manga tried to portray and the image it has in my mind. Not going to compare it to I's but I like Ichigo100% alot more than I's. I agree that the timeskip was necessary and if it did end at the chapter before it, would have been to open-ended, BUT I prefer if I knew the details that occurr during the timeskip, accomplishments and the relationship/feelings for each of the girls have either progressed or still stalled? It just felt that out of nowhere, suddenly he decided to pick Nishino. The story revolved around Manaka, so even if the new characters(cameo roles..) are shown, the girls will definitely be linked since they all liked Manaka.
Well, I could understand at the end of the manga that Satsuki didnt end up with anyone since like stated ^ there, she still has feelings for Manaka just from her reaction after seeing Manaka. I am disappointed that Aya had no mate at this point in time. Amachi attended the same school as her and I am sure that he would be after her if he was there, even if he isnt he would. I wouldnt want any new characters to be shown on the last chapter but if it was Amachi, I think it would have felt and the situation wouldnt have changed at all.

Then there is Yui, that had no closure at all...she was just left there...Kozue...Amachi...

River

Post by River » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:26 pm

Thanks for inviting me into the soiree!! NOW... I TOTALLY agree with you that there are a ton of details that were left out of the ending that were frustrating to just not know. My thoughts on any more Ichigo 100% would be that they would all be like Misuzu's Love Story... just side stories. As for Satsuki, I see it this way... it was like if someone met up with someone at a reunion that they loved in high school. They end up moving on, but then seeing them again at the reunion after all those years you remember a little of why they stole your heart when you were back in school. I think it's that way with Satsuki, she's not weak where she would've been sitting around waiting for Manaka even after he didn't choose her. I think she moved on, but seeing Manaka after all that time stirred a bit of that past passion. Kawashita did it in a way that was very noticeable, but didn't go overboard with it. I thought it was brilliant. As for the Aya I think she's also moved on and in her way she too showed a bit of that past passion in the scene in which Manaka is talking about still wanting to turn her novel into a book. Again it's my thought that to show a side story of those two characters falling in love with other people just seems kind of cheesy. It worked for Misuzu because she never had a love interest in the main story. That's why i think the ending was perfect. I think it showed enough to show that both girls still had a bit of the passion for Manaka, but in my mind they had also moved on with their lives which were indeed very successful.

As for picking Nishino... I really didn't see it coming either. I was really pulling for Aya or even Satsuki at one point. Again that's why Ichigo 100% was so brilliant to me. For me there were certain parts of the story where I woulda been perfectly happy with ANY of the three girls ending up with Manaka. Usually with these stories you KNOW who the main character is ending up with from the first story (In this case I woulda said Aya), but in this one it was Nishino. Him choosing her does seem sudden, but it works. It works because while, yes Greedy Lips was an AWESOME chapter, I think you still have that nagging feeling that Manaka still isn't completely sold on Nishino. This builds with other people's reaction to him getting back together with her, to Nishino then sharing that feeling after seeing the confession scene on the editing computer, to when she leaves the Cultural Fair. In my mind this is all for the payoff for the scene in which Aya finally confesses to Manaka and then, even then, he still chooses Nishino. To be honest at that point of the story I wanted him to choose her so it was an even bigger moment for me. It's weird because up until the 2 Days Vacation arc I wouldn't have even wanted to consider him getting back with Nishino and then flash forward to the scene of her running into the park and standing under the monkey bar, I was like holy crap, I hope to god she does a pull up while asking him out. Then when Aya confessed I was happy for Aya because I had been waiting AND WAITING to see that scene, but in my mind I was thinking don't hurt Nishino, don't hurt Nishino... So my thoughts on him picking Nishino at the end could be biased by my own opinion of what I wanted to happen. I'm sure if I had still wanted him to get together with Aya like I had from the beginning or Satsuki like I did for a bit in the middle, then I wouldn't be writing all this nonsense. I mean didn't we all say "YES! Stop whining loser! At least now you can concentrate on either Aya or Satsuki" when he broke up with Nishino the first time?

Now ALL that being said, I also completely and 100% agree with you that if anyone got shafted in the ending it was Yui. She had the most "screen time" in the story not to have been involved in the finale at all. I think the only explanation for that is that despite her being one of the "main four" girls, she was still at best a minor character. Still you kinda woulda liked her to show up. I wouldn't mind seeing a side story for Kozue too. She was a great character even if she was more of a device plot for Manaka and Aya's storyline rather than being her own storyline. Again I was just thinking of how they could have been shown in the last chapter without ruining the flow and storytelling of the chapter that exists already. I can't do it because you can't really fit them in anywhere unless it's the main characters mentioning them in conversation like Manaka saying "oh Yui? She's doing lapdances down at the Cool Kitten on Fridays and Saturdays." type of thing.

Maybe as an "alternate" final chapter we could have something done in the style of the ending from Fast Times at Ridgemont High? Having the "Goodbye Goodbye" song blaring and having face shots of various characters with their captions like... "Amachi ended up with a ton of girls, but no one still found out what his last name was..."

ironbomb

Post by ironbomb » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:12 pm

I jsut read through you post and my reply for it would be really long. So I'll wait until I have enough time to type one up, till then, I'll go and learn how to type properly lol. I feel so bad looking at how well you type with all the punctuations and grammer, makes me feel like an idiot typin lik dis =D.. :shock: ..anways, reply will be done tomorrow, for now, I get some rest =D

ironbomb

Post by ironbomb » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:34 am

River wrote:Thanks for inviting me into the soiree!! NOW... I TOTALLY agree with you that there are a ton of details that were left out of the ending that were frustrating to just not know. My thoughts on any more Ichigo 100% would be that they would all be like Misuzu's Love Story... just side stories. As for Satsuki, I see it this way... it was like if someone met up with someone at a reunion that they loved in high school. They end up moving on, but then seeing them again at the reunion after all those years you remember a little of why they stole your heart when you were back in school. I think it's that way with Satsuki, she's not weak where she would've been sitting around waiting for Manaka even after he didn't choose her. I think she moved on, but seeing Manaka after all that time stirred a bit of that past passion. Kawashita did it in a way that was very noticeable, but didn't go overboard with it. I thought it was brilliant. As for the Aya I think she's also moved on and in her way she too showed a bit of that past passion in the scene in which Manaka is talking about still wanting to turn her novel into a book. Again it's my thought that to show a side story of those two characters falling in love with other people just seems kind of cheesy. It worked for Misuzu because she never had a love interest in the main story. That's why i think the ending was perfect. I think it showed enough to show that both girls still had a bit of the passion for Manaka, but in my mind they had also moved on with their lives which were indeed very successful.

I beg to differ. Satsuki definitely still had feelings of love for Manaka, more than what you are saying. Her final lines was "I thought by the next time we meet, I would have became a better woman...", maybe not her exact words since I didnt go back to check(I would end up emotional again..) which showed she still had feelings for him. She's not weak to wait for him but she havent met someone who has moved her heart the way Manaka have and she is trying to improve herself to maybe one day, able to satisfy Manaka.
Manaka was the one that brought up the topic of the golem novel. Aya's expression when she heard those words, blushed. I would say she still have feelings lingering around for Manaka that just subsided through the timeskip but by no means have it disappeared. Instead of introducing a random new guy, Aya could have ended up with Amachi...That would have satisfied me for an Aya ending BUT if and only if Manaka had decided to choose Nishino...This is why I felt that they havent totally moved on from Manaka yet.

river wrote:As for picking Nishino... I really didn't see it coming either. I was really pulling for Aya or even Satsuki at one point. Again that's why Ichigo 100% was so brilliant to me. For me there were certain parts of the story where I woulda been perfectly happy with ANY of the three girls ending up with Manaka. Usually with these stories you KNOW who the main character is ending up with from the first story (In this case I woulda said Aya), but in this one it was Nishino. Him choosing her does seem sudden, but it works. It works because while, yes Greedy Lips was an AWESOME chapter, I think you still have that nagging feeling that Manaka still isn't completely sold on Nishino. This builds with other people's reaction to him getting back together with her, to Nishino then sharing that feeling after seeing the confession scene on the editing computer, to when she leaves the Cultural Fair. In my mind this is all for the payoff for the scene in which Aya finally confesses to Manaka and then, even then, he still chooses Nishino. To be honest at that point of the story I wanted him to choose her so it was an even bigger moment for me. It's weird because up until the 2 Days Vacation arc I wouldn't have even wanted to consider him getting back with Nishino and then flash forward to the scene of her running into the park and standing under the monkey bar, I was like holy crap, I hope to god she does a pull up while asking him out. Then when Aya confessed I was happy for Aya because I had been waiting AND WAITING to see that scene, but in my mind I was thinking don't hurt Nishino, don't hurt Nishino... So my thoughts on him picking Nishino at the end could be biased by my own opinion of what I wanted to happen. I'm sure if I had still wanted him to get together with Aya like I had from the beginning or Satsuki like I did for a bit in the middle, then I wouldn't be writing all this nonsense. I mean didn't we all say "YES! Stop whining loser! At least now you can concentrate on either Aya or Satsuki" when he broke up with Nishino the first time?

Definitely. There was a point in time where any of the girls, if Manaka decided to choose one could have been a satisfying end. Unlike all the other "fairy-tale endings" in harem/romance manga, the mangaka didnt go with the common ending which really struck the audience. You are definitely right, it was building up the finale and it did seem that it would be an Aya-Manaka ending with all that builtup. After the confession, I was wrecked because I knew he would have to break Aya or Nishino's heart at that point yet I was happy inside that she finally confessed her feelings. I was thinking more of, Dont hurt Aya, Dont hurt Aya, she sacrificed so much, just as much as Nishino, if not more to just be with you! and this is being a Nishino fan I am, I am so easily moved by the flow of the manga =/.
When he finally broke up with Nishino, I was like nooo...we gonna get less scenes of my girl ^^ but happy because we were gonna see development of Manaka x Aya & Manaka x Satsuki.

river wrote:Now ALL that being said, I also completely and 100% agree with you that if anyone got shafted in the ending it was Yui. She had the most "screen time" in the story not to have been involved in the finale at all. I think the only explanation for that is that despite her being one of the "main four" girls, she was still at best a minor character. Still you kinda woulda liked her to show up. I wouldn't mind seeing a side story for Kozue too. She was a great character even if she was more of a device plot for Manaka and Aya's storyline rather than being her own storyline. Again I was just thinking of how they could have been shown in the last chapter without ruining the flow and storytelling of the chapter that exists already. I can't do it because you can't really fit them in anywhere unless it's the main characters mentioning them in conversation like Manaka saying "oh Yui? She's doing lapdances down at the Cool Kitten on Fridays and Saturdays." type of thing.

Well, I would much rather have a group gathering, all the friends unite instead of just the "film club". Komiyama would be consider a minor character but yet he was in the last chapter. I would say Sotomura is a minor character yet displayed in the final chapter. Chinami, who doesnt even play a role compared to Yui was also in the final chapter. Not just for her to show up though, I would want a closure for her...the last scene she was in, she apologized to Manaka for causing him to fail the examines. I didnt necessarily mean for her to show up in the last chapter if it would affect the flow of the manga but a side story wouldnt hurt for her...Kozue too.

river wrote:Maybe as an "alternate" final chapter we could have something done in the style of the ending from Fast Times at Ridgemont High? Having the "Goodbye Goodbye" song blaring and having face shots of various characters with their captions like... "Amachi ended up with a ton of girls, but no one still found out what his last name was..."

No, that would have destroyed the manga lol. What I want is just closure for all the characters, developments they made through the timeskip, even if its vague.

River

Post by River » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:21 pm

Heh... sorry about the length of my posts, I'm pretty longwinded and once I think about things, I just start rambling! Thanks for mentioning my spelling and grammar though. Even though it's only a simple post on the internet, I try and do my best just because I want my thoughts to come across as clearly as I can so I can show people how I feel and what I am thinking. Even though we're of different opinions of how things went in the story, I think it's great that we can disagree and not get all crazy about it. I think it's great there are people who were disappointed he chose Nishino because it shows me that the story was that dynamic.

See I just see Satsuki saying the "I thought I'd be a better woman" line as kind of a way for her to break the ice with Manaka again and kind of rib him a bit for becoming much more mature himself. I think if she had been serious to the point where she had been waiting for him all that time, slowly trying to become a woman he would fall in love with, she would NOT have said that. It would have been the awkward trying to be happy Satsuki, but inside she is really disappointed. Like I said I just can't picture Satsuki trying to wait and pine for Manaka when he had already chosen Nishino for like the 5 or 6 years the Time Skip covers. She definitely has lingering feelings for him, but I think her reactions and actions indicate she's moved on in a way. And Amachi with Aya? Definitely not. I'd rather have some no name guy for two reasons. A. She never had anything for Amachi and if she ended up with him, it would have been like she was settling because it was someone who paid attention to her and B. It seems kind of a fanfic way to go in that people start throwing together characters just because they are there. Unless Amachi was a whole lot better of a character to the point where he was a "true" rival rather than a joke half the time I probably would be very disappointed if she ended up with Amachi.

Hahaha!! So you were a Nishino fan first and then became an Aya fan later? That's pretty funny since it was the opposite of how I was like you said. I guess I just had it in my head that we'd all be Aya fans from the start. The lesson as always, is that I am an idiot. It's really cool because it just shows how dynamic this story was. I'll debate the Aya gave up more than Nishino to be with Manaka angle though. I think Nishino having already been in a relationship that Manaka could not commit to had that fear and that pain to get over. She had already been disappointed once as she had mentioned to Ookusa and yet she still made the pull up confession without any acknowledgment of Manaka's feeling for her. I'm not saying Aya didn't sacrifice a lot either. I just think Aya's sacrifice was to face pain despite the uncertainty of what could happen and Nishino had that on top of knowing what it was like to even be chosen and still be hurt and disappointed.

Heh... that alternate ending was definitely just a joke. I would kill people if that actually happened. I think the details you're looking for would work better as maybe a short companion book to the series in which Kawashita gives us a few more details about each character. I'd picture it being kind of like DVD extras type of thing. I think we get what we need to end the story in the manga. It shows the current film studies club becoming like Manaka was when he started and was in love with the old movie that a previous class had made. Then it shows the film club as they are now when everyone has grown up and matured. They've gone on to successful careers and they all can get together again and just be friends like they were in high school. The story proper ends after the party with Nishino and Manaka's reunion. I don't think complete closure is needed for any character besides Manaka since it was his story to begin with. Would it be nice to have them? Definitely, but for the Ichigo 100% story it wasn't needed.

Again I respect the fact you think Satsuki is still in truly in love with Manaka and you think Aya should have ended up with Amachi if she didn't with Manaka. They're valid opinions and I would totally give you props if Kawashita came out in an interview and was like "yeah Satsuki is still deeply in love with Manaka." I mean you made me think more about it and that wasn't what my opinion was at all.

ironbomb

Post by ironbomb » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:10 pm

River wrote:Heh... sorry about the length of my posts, I'm pretty longwinded and once I think about things, I just start rambling! Thanks for mentioning my spelling and grammar though. Even though it's only a simple post on the internet, I try and do my best just because I want my thoughts to come across as clearly as I can so I can show people how I feel and what I am thinking. Even though we're of different opinions of how things went in the story, I think it's great that we can disagree and not get all crazy about it. I think it's great there are people who were disappointed he chose Nishino because it shows me that the story was that dynamic.

Don't worry about it lol. I have a tendency to rant on and on when I am talking about stuff like this. Discussions like these, I enjoy alot =).

River wrote:See I just see Satsuki saying the "I thought I'd be a better woman" line as kind of a way for her to break the ice with Manaka again and kind of rib him a bit for becoming much more mature himself. I think if she had been serious to the point where she had been waiting for him all that time, slowly trying to become a woman he would fall in love with, she would NOT have said that. It would have been the awkward trying to be happy Satsuki, but inside she is really disappointed. Like I said I just can't picture Satsuki trying to wait and pine for Manaka when he had already chosen Nishino for like the 5 or 6 years the Time Skip covers. She definitely has lingering feelings for him, but I think her reactions and actions indicate she's moved on in a way. And Amachi with Aya? Definitely not. I'd rather have some no name guy for two reasons. A. She never had anything for Amachi and if she ended up with him, it would have been like she was settling because it was someone who paid attention to her and B. It seems kind of a fanfic way to go in that people start throwing together characters just because they are there. Unless Amachi was a whole lot better of a character to the point where he was a "true" rival rather than a joke half the time I probably would be very disappointed if she ended up with Amachi.

I was sure what I stated was true...so I went back to reread the last chapter...gosh I hate it..I am all emotional again....anyways here...http://www.onemanga.com/Ichigo100%25/167/12/
She was in awe by how much Manaka have changed since the last time they have met. Manaka haven't seen any of his buddies in the film club since graduation, as stated in the previous page in the link I provided.
Nishino and Manaka was NOT going out until Nishino came back from her France trip, which was the last scene in the manga. Just from her actions of throwing..whatever that was she threw(lol) at Manaka and what she said, I have to say she still has feelings for Manaka. Why why why...I don't understand this :(, I have suggest this in several forums and each one stated that it would be absurd if Amachi and Aya ended up together. Amachi isn't fooling around when it came to Aya. She might not have anything for Amachi because she had feelings for Manaka throughout the whole manga but during the timeskip, Amachi and Aya most definitely spent time together since they attended the same school with, highly likely, the same majors, assuming this because both were in the literature club during highschool. I am not just throwing random people together to make a "happy" ending, instead I really felt that they could have worked things out. Don't forget the predictions that Amachi made, 1- Aya falling for him and 2- Kozue liking Manaka which came true. Aya is a simple-minded person when it came to love. When she loves someone, she loves them whole-heartedly which is the reason why she had no interest in Amachi but with Manaka out of the picture for so long, how can Amachi x Aya pair be unfaithful to the story? Just because the story revolves around Manaka does not mean you can not have others fall in love too.

River wrote:Hahaha!! So you were a Nishino fan first and then became an Aya fan later? That's pretty funny since it was the opposite of how I was like you said. I guess I just had it in my head that we'd all be Aya fans from the start. The lesson as always, is that I am an idiot. It's really cool because it just shows how dynamic this story was. I'll debate the Aya gave up more than Nishino to be with Manaka angle though. I think Nishino having already been in a relationship that Manaka could not commit to had that fear and that pain to get over. She had already been disappointed once as she had mentioned to Ookusa and yet she still made the pull up confession without any acknowledgment of Manaka's feeling for her. I'm not saying Aya didn't sacrifice a lot either. I just think Aya's sacrifice was to face pain despite the uncertainty of what could happen and Nishino had that on top of knowing what it was like to even be chosen and still be hurt and disappointed.

:shock: Hmm, I might have put out my feelings in a way that you misintepret what I said. I am definitely, 100%, wholeheartedly a NISHINO TSUKASA FAN! :D :D. lol, why are you calling yourself an idiot ^^?
I totally agree on the part that Nishino has been neglected when they first went out which would make it that much worst if they did go out again and to feel disappointed once again but my arguement would have to come where Nishino decided to abandon the promise they made when they started to date. She went to test for another school while Aya, who could have been accepted to any school she wanted, attended Izumizaka for no other reason than to be with Manaka. Then there was the scripts she wrote for the film club, the acting she did for the third film and joining the film club. All those things, she did not have to act or write or even join the club. Don't get me wrong, Nishino definitely sacrificed alot just to be with Manaka as well, such as rejecting Higure-san but by no means could I see Tsukasa giving up more when comparing to Aya.

river wrote:Heh... that alternate ending was definitely just a joke. I would kill people if that actually happened. I think the details you're looking for would work better as maybe a short companion book to the series in which Kawashita gives us a few more details about each character. I'd picture it being kind of like DVD extras type of thing. I think we get what we need to end the story in the manga. It shows the current film studies club becoming like Manaka was when he started and was in love with the old movie that a previous class had made. Then it shows the film club as they are now when everyone has grown up and matured. They've gone on to successful careers and they all can get together again and just be friends like they were in high school. The story proper ends after the party with Nishino and Manaka's reunion. I don't think complete closure is needed for any character besides Manaka since it was his story to begin with. Would it be nice to have them? Definitely, but for the Ichigo 100% story it wasn't needed.

Yea, your probably right. What I am looking for is somewhat a novel that is either base on the manga or relations to the manga which is why the name of this thread..^^
Definitely, I agree with everything you said here =). Just that, I posted it, as a "selfish request" hehe.

river wrote:Again I respect the fact you think Satsuki is still in truly in love with Manaka and you think Aya should have ended up with Amachi if she didn't with Manaka. They're valid opinions and I would totally give you props if Kawashita came out in an interview and was like "yeah Satsuki is still deeply in love with Manaka." I mean you made me think more about it and that wasn't what my opinion was at all.

I am grateful to be able to discuss this manga =). That is what discussions do, makes you either realize something new or cause you to think about things you already known in-depth.

River

Post by River » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:05 pm

Yeah, I just don't see the madly in love from that page where Satsuki throws the towel at Manaka. I think it was something where if it happened she would have been happy, but it wasn't something she was waiting 5 or 6 years for. I think it makes sense for Satsuki to show the most reaction to seeing Manaka again since she was the one who was the most open about her feelings for him. However I just see her seeing Manaka again after such a long time and her heart kind of skips a beat as this butterfly feeling flutters around in her stomach. Is she still madly in love with him? It can go that way, but it can also be that she just still carries the remnants of an old crush on him, but she has moved on and made something of her life past Manaka. Again it shows that we can take the same couple of panels and get two completely different things out of it.

I don't think there is any realistic reason why Amachi couldn't end up with Aya. If we were talking about a couple of friends we knew in real life I would have no problems with it. However since this was done in the frame of a piece of fiction the characters are all built to fit into that precise framework. I think people shooting down Aya and Amachi is precisely why it shouldn't happen in the story. It just goes against this core character that we were invested in. I apologize if my previous post made it seem as if I was saying you were just pairing them up just to pair up the left over single characters. That wasn't my intention at all. I think you have a bunch of GREAT reasons why they could get together. My point was that despite all those great reasons, it would still "seem" to feel like it was just pairing up left over single characters. I hope this makes sense because it's just barely making sense as I'm explaining it in my head. However if that is what you would like to think could happen, then you should definitely stick with it. I imagine Aya meeting someone at college or at work and then working from there. I'm happy with this nameless guy dating Aya, I just know that he's a lot cooler than me or even a fictional me would be.

I bow down to your Nishino Tsukasa fandom. I did not see the light of Tsukasa until they both went on that two night vacation. In fact I was very much perturbed to see her make a reentrance into the manag after they broke up after only like 8 or so chapters. Anyway you are being too hard on Nishino now... heh... I think her decision to attend Oumi academy was just as a big a sacrifice for Aya to go to Izumizaka. She didn't want to be just an Aya clone and follow Manaka blindly. She wanted to follow her dreams even if it meant giving up being by Manaka's side. In the end this is a big reason why I think Manaka ends up choosing Nishino in the end (he gets strength from Nishino who was able to find and follow her dream no matter how hard it got) and why he breaks up with her before she goes to France (he was relying on her strength and conviction of her dreams too much). Aya writing the scripts wasn't that much of a sacrifice since it kinda helps her situation regardless. The acting both she and Nishino both sacrificed to do. Although I wouldn't count Nishino rejecting Higure asd a sacrifice no more than I could count Aya rejecting Amachi as a sacrifice. See, it took me a long time to figure out Nishino's good points since I was always such an Aya and Satsuki fan, but after that two night trip they took, this seed was planted and fter going back and really paying attention to her character, I just have this new found respect for her and Kawashita as a writer.

Yeah I share your wish about the extra stuff. I didn't know an anime had been made of Ichigo 100% and when I found out I was hoping it was the whole series and maybe an extra episode or two of more follow up, but as you know as well, I was sadly mistaken. Maybe one day we'll get lucky and someone will at least do a fricking interview with Kawashita about Ichigo 100% and dig up some thoughts of how she thought everything turned out for everyone.

It's been a blast talking about Ichigo 100% though. I mean before this discussion I NEVER would have even imagined a scenario where Amachi ends up with Aya, but thanks to you now I can... even if I think it's the work of the devil!! Heh... Anyhow there's got to be some other Ichigo discussion we can dig up right?

ironbomb

Post by ironbomb » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:25 pm

River wrote:Yeah, I just don't see the madly in love from that page where Satsuki throws the towel at Manaka. I think it was something where if it happened she would have been happy, but it wasn't something she was waiting 5 or 6 years for. I think it makes sense for Satsuki to show the most reaction to seeing Manaka again since she was the one who was the most open about her feelings for him. However I just see her seeing Manaka again after such a long time and her heart kind of skips a beat as this butterfly feeling flutters around in her stomach. Is she still madly in love with him? It can go that way, but it can also be that she just still carries the remnants of an old crush on him, but she has moved on and made something of her life past Manaka. Again it shows that we can take the same couple of panels and get two completely different things out of it.

I felt that Satsuki was already trying to hold in her emotions with the quick exit. She couldnt stand being there with the new and improved Manaka because if she stayed any longer, she would end up falling in love with him again. Under normal circumstances, I am sure she would have confessed again but because of the number of people around, one being her rival Aya, she just wasn't sure what to do. Quick exit was the best choice to avoid all confrontations at the time ^^. I might be overthinking her actions/reactions....

river wrote:I don't think there is any realistic reason why Amachi couldn't end up with Aya. If we were talking about a couple of friends we knew in real life I would have no problems with it. However since this was done in the frame of a piece of fiction the characters are all built to fit into that precise framework. I think people shooting down Aya and Amachi is precisely why it shouldn't happen in the story. It just goes against this core character that we were invested in. I apologize if my previous post made it seem as if I was saying you were just pairing them up just to pair up the left over single characters. That wasn't my intention at all. I think you have a bunch of GREAT reasons why they could get together. My point was that despite all those great reasons, it would still "seem" to feel like it was just pairing up left over single characters. I hope this makes sense because it's just barely making sense as I'm explaining it in my head. However if that is what you would like to think could happen, then you should definitely stick with it. I imagine Aya meeting someone at college or at work and then working from there. I'm happy with this nameless guy dating Aya, I just know that he's a lot cooler than me or even a fictional me would be.

Well, to me the characters have life just by remaining in my mind for 4years and still counting lol. This is exactly why I like the mangaka's new work, Hatsukoi Limited, its not revolved around a specific love relationship even though at the end it probably will...anyways, I get what you are trying to point out but leaving Aya single is just too unreasonable...

river wrote:I bow down to your Nishino Tsukasa fandom. I did not see the light of Tsukasa until they both went on that two night vacation. In fact I was very much perturbed to see her make a reentrance into the manag after they broke up after only like 8 or so chapters. Anyway you are being too hard on Nishino now... heh... I think her decision to attend Oumi academy was just as a big a sacrifice for Aya to go to Izumizaka. She didn't want to be just an Aya clone and follow Manaka blindly. She wanted to follow her dreams even if it meant giving up being by Manaka's side. In the end this is a big reason why I think Manaka ends up choosing Nishino in the end (he gets strength from Nishino who was able to find and follow her dream no matter how hard it got) and why he breaks up with her before she goes to France (he was relying on her strength and conviction of her dreams too much). Aya writing the scripts wasn't that much of a sacrifice since it kinda helps her situation regardless. The acting both she and Nishino both sacrificed to do. Although I wouldn't count Nishino rejecting Higure asd a sacrifice no more than I could count Aya rejecting Amachi as a sacrifice. See, it took me a long time to figure out Nishino's good points since I was always such an Aya and Satsuki fan, but after that two night trip they took, this seed was planted and fter going back and really paying attention to her character, I just have this new found respect for her and Kawashita as a writer.

No way would Nishino attending Oumi be congruent to Aya attending Izumizaka. Aya, just by attending that school is neglecting her own future just to satisfy Manaka while Nishino attending Oumi only provides less time for them to share together. Don't get me wrong, I truly respect her choice to attend Oumi and to strive for her own dream. Aya, has work of her own to do in the Literature club. Writing a script for a film isnt exactly light work, well I cant really say since I never wrote one but I would have to assume so. I dont see how she is benefitting by neglecting her club activities to work for another club? Nishino offered to act in a film Manaka produced when they where going out while Aya resented acting since she was shy. Who convinced Aya to act? was none other than Manaka. Nishino rejecting Higure, who is her "idol", is hard...even though she didnt have such feelings for him, I felt that by rejecting his feelings is not the same as Aya rejecting Amachi.
Kawashita is a great artist/writer =), have you read her new work?

river wrote:Yeah I share your wish about the extra stuff. I didn't know an anime had been made of Ichigo 100% and when I found out I was hoping it was the whole series and maybe an extra episode or two of more follow up, but as you know as well, I was sadly mistaken. Maybe one day we'll get lucky and someone will at least do a fricking interview with Kawashita about Ichigo 100% and dig up some thoughts of how she thought everything turned out for everyone.

Don't remind me lol. The anime was so horrible, it neglected and cut out too much of the manga that the story didnt make sense. I am grateful to the anime though, if it wasnt for the anime I wouldnt have picked up the manga. I was really interested in the outcome of the relationships. An interview with her thoughts of Ichigo100% would be great, It might actually happen since her new work shares the same character appearance, I am sure someone is gonna ask her if it any sort of relation.

river wrote:It's been a blast talking about Ichigo 100% though. I mean before this discussion I NEVER would have even imagined a scenario where Amachi ends up with Aya, but thanks to you now I can... even if I think it's the work of the devil!! Heh... Anyhow there's got to be some other Ichigo discussion we can dig up right?

I have always enjoyed talking about this manga, no matter how many times and how different the opinions are. Patiently waiting for some raw scans of the novels, Take your time Runningkid, will always check here daily =).

River

Post by River » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:28 pm

Really though, you might not be over thinking it. It could honestly go either way. Again it's cool how that one page could be read in two completely different ways. As for Hatsukoi Limited, I've been holding off from reading it. I'm just afraid that I'll immediately compare it to Ichigo 100%. I'm just afraid that I'll go in with this bias because of that and I won't give it a fair shake. It sounds like you enjoy it though and now I'm tempted to start reading it.

Well think of the Aya going to Izumizaka and Nishino going to Oumi in terms of what they had to sacrifice in order to go to their respective schools. Aya gave up on a better education and the chance at furthering her dream as a writer. Nishino gave up her high school life being with someone she loved and furthering her relationship with him. To the outside observer and taken out of the context of this story, it definitely makes sense that Aya is giving up more. However what is most important to those characters at the time of their decision? It's to be with Manaka. One chooses to walk a harder path to their dream, but gets to be at Manaka's side. The other chooses an easier path to their dream but sacrifices her time with Manaka. I'm willing to say it's even stephen in terms of what they sacrificed to go to their respective schools because of how everything turned out. In the end Aya still became a famous writer and Nishino still ended up with Manaka.

As for Aya writing the script, I'm not saying it wasn't easy especially since she was in two clubs. However working on the scripts allows her to continue writing stories she loves and at the same time brings her closer to Manaka. It's more work, but somehow I have to imagine Aya definitely loved doing it. Nishino in turn trained to become a chef, but did it alone and the stress almost broke her down because she was doing it by herself. Also in terms of acting, I will give you the fact that it was tougher for Aya to act because of her shyness, but it still took Manaka's efforts to get both her AND Nishino to be in the movies. It was Manaka directly telling Nishino that he wanted her for the part when she finally agreed to it.

I think the only reason it was hard for Nishino to reject Higure was because of the whole situation where she felt obligated to the pastry shop for giving her a job and all this training. I think she's always loved Manaka and while she was probably flattered that her "idol" Higure would consider her as his wife, she definitely did not have any problems deciding on not being with Higure. Higure already seems to know this and it's even mentioned by Nishino as such some time later on. Thats why I can't count that as a sacrifice since she isn't really giving up anything by rejecting Higure despite feeling guilty about the pastry shop. It's like Aya rejecting Amachi. No sacrifice needed since she already loved Manaka.

Yeah I'll probably have to find the anime and watch it one time though. I'm ure it won't even come close to the original, but I want to see if some scenes such as Nishino's break up with Manaka carry some weight when animated.

ironbomb

Post by ironbomb » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:46 am

Up to you hehe, Hatsukoi Limited differs from Ichigo100% though and its still on its starting stages, actually only the two most recent chapters started developing the story while the first time was character introductions.

I am not so sure about Nishino's motive when she decided to go to Oumi. I really do doubt it was to follow her dream because it was after Manaka teased her about her cooking that she decided to take such actions. I dont remember was that event before or after they got accepted to Oumi, think after, so that wasnt her reason to attend it until later on. Don't forget, her parents insisted she take the examine for that school as well....Ill use your words right now..What was more important to them at the time? Aya definitely chose Manaka over her dreams at the time while Nishino....

Yea, Aya enjoyed writing those stories unlike the ones she was forced to publish, that I cant argue against.
I felt that Nishino would have agreed even if Manaka didnt personally request it...but it would feel awkward if she suddenly showed up for the filming and he doesnt know about it.

I agree that Nishino has no feelings for Higure but what I am getting at is, Nishino views Higure like a fan views a celebrity. When you get to choose between sharing time with your idol or with someone you have a crush on, that was the decision Nishino had to make while Aya, didnt have such a tough decision. Aya, never idolize or even saw Amachi as anything but a friend while Higure is Nishino's teacher and idol.

Hope you enjoy the anime ^^.